Friday, August 27, 2010

New Things


My two babies. Well, let's start off with an update on Luke. He has experienced many new things lately. For one, look at his hair in this picture. Yes, his hair has always been a hot topic since he was born. It was time to chop some of those locks!

















Don't you agree?? This is product-free hair minutes after waking up. His hair has always give me good laughs :)

















This picture was taken the day we headed to the hair salon.




















Luke wasn't sure what we were doing! My friend Shannon did an amazing job at taming his wild calic-covered head!





















Here is the new look...what do you think?




















We love it!





















But I think it will always stick up!






















Luke also has a new bed....yes, this is our living room floor. He is on three blankets and they are barricaded by pillows, ottomans, etc. The sleep situation was almost unbearable a couple of months ago. We have made a huge breakthrough, but we still need to figure out a bed for Luke! Poor guy.




















Luke had his first laundry basket ride today. This was a favorite past time of Emmie back when we lived in the Franciscan.



















You knew I had to post this old classic video right? This was a video I posted a year or more ago from our last apartment. Emmie's buddy Neve used to push Emmie in the laundry basket up and down the halls all the time.










Luke was fed his first bottle by Emmie. Luke doesn't take bottles. He never would. Until the other day. I was doing some chore in another room. Emmie pulled a chair over to the cupboards in the kitchen, found a bottle, poured some juice in it, and put Luke into this position to start the feeding! I went to check on them because it was extra quiet. This is what I found! Luke was happily drinking the juice and Emmie was beaming at her accomplishment. It was too cute.





















Oh my poor baby. I have cried myself to sleep a lot the past week thinking of this new thing my little boy went through. Here Luke is with a wrap around his broken collar bone!
























Oh my, did you even think a 9 month old baby could break his collar bone? I sure didn't. It was a horrible moment for me when I left Luke on my bed and went to grab something in the bathroom. I got distracted by Em for a few moments longer. And then we heard the thud. It was an awful sound. I came out to see Luke on his stomach on the floor. For a split second I couldn't remember if he was on the bed. The sinking realization came, YES, he was on the bed and now he is not. I couldn't believe it....by baby had fallen off our king-size bed. And yes, it is a VERY high king-size bed. I knew Luke was hurting for the next few hours as we would wince and cry when held in different positions. After watching him when Jon came home for lunch, we determined something was wrong with his right arm/shoulder. Jon predicted it was his collar bone. He was right. When the doctor showed me the little X-ray of his skeleton and the little cracked collar bone, I again wanted to burst into tears. The doctor comforted me and told me it was the best bone to break. It would heal quickly and easily. They said they couldn't do much to help it heal though. They said he would probably break out of the wrap, which he did in less than 5 minutes. However, babies are smart and they won't use their arm if it hurts them. So, Luke has become ambidextrous these days. He has been a good sport through it all. It has been over a week and he seems almost 100% back to normal. Here is a picture of him right after the fall. I have felt so bad. I hate making mistakes that hurt someone else....especially when it is my precious, helpless baby! But, I learned that you can't put babies up high, even when they aren't crawling yet and even when you think it will be for just a second, and even when you think you put them in the very middle with a toy that will entertain them. Sometimes they are practicing being mobile behind your back (like Cordoury the bear) and sometimes they push the toy off the bed and try to lunge for it! I am grateful that he is going to be okay. I love my Lukie Ben.



















What a sweet little guy. He really hasn't complained much about his broken bone and is still pleasant and sweet.

























And now for an update on Em.....




















She tried out the alpine slides last week which she LOVES. She calls them the "airplane" slides.




















She has been doing more dancing in the rain.





































































And of course we hardly miss a day of swimming at the pool. In fact, one week I think we were honestly 6 for 6 (only missed the pool on Sunday). She also swam one morning and danced in the rain that afternoon. Crazy weather. Emmie will do anything to keep her swimsuit on.




















She has become pro with her lifejacket.






































































Emmie also got her first haircut this month. She sat so still and calm the entire time. Shannon was very impressed.

























These were her golden locks before...





















The trim after...(not much different!)

























Happy about her new doo





















We went to the Featherstone cabin this summer and got some cute shots of the kiddos.



















Love the hair and the smile on Lukie!



















Mommy and Em




















These guys are becoming best buddies! The other day I had to run something up to a neighbor's door. When I came back to the car, Lukie wasn't fussing like he normally is when the car is stopped. I asked Em if he had been crying. She said, "Yes, but then I held his hand." I looked back and their hands were still interlocked in between the carseats. It was the sweetest moment. I love being a mommy to my Emmie Shae and Lukie Ben!

12 comments:

Jyl said...

great update, Shae! I love Luke's haircut. Can't wait to see it in person! Glad you recorded your feelings about the collarbone. One day it won't see so traumatic! Love ya, MOM

Aymee said...

Luke's hair cut IS so cute. And I totally felt your emotions during that story! We had a similar experience, but no broken bone...and we were both still crying with each other (aubs and me) Man, that's tough, I'm glad he's doing better. You are such a good Mom, if it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone!

And cute little Emmie. I can't believe how sweet she is. It must be so fun! Sounds like you guys are having s good summer!

Nick and Erica Hart said...

Way to go with all these pictures. :) I love the one with Emme in her sunglasses in the car. And Luke's haircut is really cute! Oh how I love that little boy. And Emme's voice is the cutest. I had a saved birthday message that you left with her singing and I listened to it the other day. Seriously...the sweetest thing ever.

Chareth Cutestory, Maritime Lawyer said...

Your kids melt my heart! I can't believe how fast they are growing up!! ADORABLE!
I am so sorry about little Luke's accident - but Aymee is right - you are SUCH a great mom and it can happen to everybody.
As soon as Luke is feeling better you guys are up for it, let's meet at a park and let the kids play.
OH - and I didn't know you know Shannon! My mom and sister work at that salon, and I've known Shannon my whole life! In fact, you can see my mom in the background pf the photo of Emmy smiling with her new hairdo! So funny!

Jody Neeley said...

Such cute pics, both of your kids are so adorable! I hadn't heard about Luke's collerbone! I am glad he is doing ok. It is so crazy how things can happen so quickly! You are such a great mom, and I am so sorry you had to go through that. Just remember, those type of things have happened to us all. I will have to tell you some of my stories one day. :)

Grand Pooba said...

Oh poor baby Luke! That's got to be so hard as a mom when your child is hurt! I'm glad he is okay.

Luke and Em are so cute, both haircuts look great!

Nat said...

I can't believe how big both Emmie and Luke are getting!!! So Cute! It's been to long since I have seen you, we'll have to get together soon!

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

Very cute. Looks like you've had an adventurous summer. I love Luke's hair, it is adorable.

John and Rachael Alexander said...

Such adorable kiddos! I love them to death! Great picures and updates on them

Tima said...

Thanks for the update. Lukey Ben is just the cutest thing ever. Brenna mentioned Emmie's several times on our Cali trip. But we're back in town and I'll call you during the week. We miss you guys!

Devrie Pettit said...

I can't believe how blonde they both are. So cute. Shae...its been too long, way too long.

Mila Family said...

your kids are so adorable!