Thursday, May 22, 2008

Satisfied

My second journal entry. So I stole the title of this post from my friend, Diana Heder. A couple months ago she made a post about how we all seek to feel satisfaction in life. She said that satisfaction is something we constantly have to strive for. I thought that was so interesting. She also said that she had come to the point of feeling satisfied as a mother. I remember reading her post and thinking, "Do I feel satisfied as a mom?" I wasn't really sure. Well, now I am adding a post to say that as of late, I feel great satisfaction in being a mom. For me, it has been a balancing act between exerting my best effort and accepting reality. I try my best to set a routine for Emmeline so I can identify her needs (and get some sleep myself), but I don't flip out like I used to when things don't go "as planned." Maybe it has taken me longer than most to relax and be flexible as a mom, but it has been something I am still learning how to do. I have also learned how to prioritize. At first I thought I could get 10 things done in one day while Emmie was napping (dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning bathroom, read, write in my journal, post on the blog, etc.) I was totally bummed when Jon would come home and there would still be dishes in the sink. I couldn't believe that taking care of one baby could take up all my time. No way I thought! I could accomplish 50 things in one day on my mission. I had no idea that becoming a mom meant slowing down a bit!!!! It has been a really good thing for me to slow down and distinguish between essential things to do each day and other things I can do if I have time. Some days I only get around to taking care of Emmeline, reading my scriptures and maybe a shower if I'm lucky. But I'm okay with it now. It has taken great effort for me to be realistic in my expectations, and it has paid off. I feel so much better about myself as a mom. I really believe that what Sister Julie B. Beck said in General Conference Oct. 07 is true....Mothers who know "do not try to choose it all." I am trying to follow this counsel even though I could be a candidate for the energizer bunny. I know that it is important for us to prioritize and save our energy for the essential things. As one of my mission companions, Bridgette Quinn often says "less is more." So anyway, that is my long journal entry on the word satisfied.

4 comments:

Krystal said...

HI Shae! I found your blog thru Mariah's...I love your pics. You're such a cute mom and Emmeline is adorable. I think our daughters are about the same age. And I completely understand your "Satisfied" entry...especially when you compared mission life to mommy life! Such a difference. Being a mother is an incredible blessing, but it is a huge life adjustment as well! :)

Ben said...

Hey, Shae! It's Stacy Hoeksel. I just have to tell you how much i love this blog post. I read it yesterday and I have thought about it a lot since. It's kind of fun that our kids are close in age because we are having a really similar experience! The whole time I read this post I just kept thinking "ME TOO!!"
Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" and thanks for giving me something so great to think about! We love your blog- Emmeline is SO cute!!!!

John and Rachael Alexander said...

Ya, thanks for your profound journal entries- they also make me think about my own life and satisfaction. you are the best and raising such a beautiful baby!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome, Beanito! And thankyou so much for the sweet letter and pics. Hud and Boebers love pointing and babbling at the pic of Emmeline.